The Eyes of the World

One day you will wake up and find out that you are the eyes of the world!

Name:
Location: Haslev, Denmark

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

From Roskilde to Cambodia

Damn, it is over…One week just flew away like leaves in the wind. A week with good music, good friends, and good cold beers. A week on Roskilde – Europe’s biggest festival. Roskilde is a totally strange place to go into, everyone is different from you, still everyone share something that cannot be described in words. 110.000 people gathered together for one week, just to drink, eat cheap food, sleep in a warm tent, drink, listen to music, dance in the sun, drink, listen to live poetry, smoke up, and a lot more strange, but still wonderful things.
Then when you come home, all these new memories from a night when you were really drunk come out again. Like the night when I walked back home, and a stranger from came up to kiss me, or when I drank Australian Port together with two Australians in our camp. I am home now. At home where people walk with clothes (and NORMAL clothes), home where you don’t see 10.000 people walking on the roads more or less stoned, going to buy beers. At home where no strange Swedes comes up to you and dance with you. At home where you can’t scream: “BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN” to everyone with a cowboy hat (because no one has one). At home where I look silly with a vest on. At home where my neighbour is not screaming “MÅ JEG SE DINE PATTER” (Can I see your tits) to everyone who is passing by.
I am at home where we sit on chairs and eat, and where every dinner is not a competetion in “who can eat the ugliest way”, where you can’t put mayonnaise in Mathias hands and he will lick it off. At home where you can’t sit and discuss if you want to hear an unknown band from Mali, the new American pop star, or Norwegian death metal…. I am counting the days until I can be back there in the grass with a cold beer in my hand, love in my heart and the sun on the skies.
Roskilde is Denmark’s 5th biggest town during the festival, and everyone has the special “Roskilde spirit” that has only been seen on Woodstock before. You can talk with everyone; people are tolerant, helpful, and open-minded. There is no “political law” on Roskilde, even though most of the people there are very left-winged. Everyone is there because of something else, something called….Roskilde.
I remember when I watch the football games on the skater ramps, together with 30.000 other people, sitting next to Mathias, sitting on a crate of beers. I remember when I was at one of the best concerts in my Life, jumping up and down, moving my hips left and right to the Uruguayan rhythm of “Bola 8”, or when I sat down in front of the biggest stage to listen to Roger Waters (the guy from Pink Floyd) playing “I wish you were here”. I remember the long walks and talks that Mathias and I had together, or the great moments in the UWC camp…ehh, actually, I don’t remember much of them, mostly because I was really drunk most of the time there, but I am sure that I had great moments. I remember watching an old and bad Bob Dylan concert, and I remember the beautiful girls. I remember the “Festival De Luxe Burger” and the “makrel filet” that I ate so many times. I remember the horrible smell of urine in my nose almost everywhere, or the dust in the air. I remember the 30 degrees Celsius, and the rain on one of the first nights. I remember talking with a guy from Italy called Dario, buying a crate a beer because there was a penalty in the world cup. I remember the weed dealer on the corner, and his long working days. I remember everything in flashes, because that is how Roskilde happened, in flashes.

Now I am home, going to work in 20 min. I know that I am only going to work for half a year, and then I will go and do a “Fourth Year Option”. I just a little scholarship, so now I am able to go to Cambodia and work for the CCH. The same place as Peter and Henrieke (Second years) went to, and the place where Ulrika (First year) is going. I am really looking forward to go there, especially because Cambodia was the first place that I actually wanted to go to for a “Third Year Option”. I hope I will get another great time there, teaching these orphans who normally live from collecting trash in the capital Phnom Penh. So, everyone who would like to visit me in Cambodia, just give me a call or write me J.,

Work is calling, Life is stopping, the money will come, so I again can Live Life like I like to Live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home