The Eyes of the World

One day you will wake up and find out that you are the eyes of the world!

Name:
Location: Haslev, Denmark

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

One News (Special edition for Anicko)

A relativly small notice in the newspaper some days ago, showed a major study of wealth distribution and it reveals that the richest 2 per cent of the world population own more than half of the global household assets!!
And the poorest 50% owns less than a per cent of the world wealth!!
But who cares? I mean, just the fact that you are reading this right now shows that you don't belong to the "poor" part of the world. You most likely have an education, maybe even a computer as well!! So, why care?

This Christmas my mother and I decided to do something different with the Christmas gifts. Instead of buying gifts to, for example my sister, we bought her a "giftcard", that she can only use for giving 1 cow and 25 chickens to a farm in Malawi. All the Aid Organiztions in Denmark is arranging all this, so you decided where you want the "money" to go to, and what do use them for. What about 200 condoms to Mali? (if you know Danish, then go here and support it!)

Talking about what "anicko" mention in my comment (and thank you for that one, how was Denmark btw?)

Does no one watch the news? Hmm... personally, me and my friends were all geeks back in the "pre-uwc" days. My father is a politican, so we get three big newspapers everyday and of course I watch the news....oh yes, and then of course the internet where I update every hour. I know that not everyone is like that, but I don't think that all UWC's care about news (Or is it so Alpar?)
I have even tried to tell people from the college what is going on in their country before they even knew themself. I am not sure if it is always good to be, as you call it, hyper-aware. Most people have ONE topic that they really care about and follow everwhere.... I just follow everything, which also means that sometimes I have difficulties sepearting all the news. Yes, sometimes I believe there is a "over-flood" of News, that is also my problem with BBC and CNN, I don't believe that there are news 24/7. Nevertheless, we are told to believe so.

My biggest wish woul be if people would "gather" the news themself. If people could read bits of all magazines and newspaper, watch all tv-channels, and then collect only the important aspects, and of course different views on the issue. I wish that people could be more critical to what they see, hence I also like "google news".

What I don't like about the media is when "news" are not "news" anymore. For example, the Sahara conflict. It is quite a big issue, but no one cares (it is 30 years old news). Who cares about when 10 people die in Iraq anymore?! And how often do you follow the North Korea or the Palenstian conflict really closely?

Before I came to the college I was really tired of hearing about Arafat and Sharon, then (luckily) I got to talk a lot more with Itay and I started to discuss all the news with him. And that was amazing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dilly said...

no, what bugs me is really, who the hell cares if Britney flashed her vagina to the public again.
Okay maybe you do. But REALLY.

12:41 AM  
Blogger ...The eyes of the world said...

HEY! THE BRITNEY NEWS ARE COOL!!! ;-)...even though I must say that I was very disappointed, she is so NOT HOT....(anymore)

3:37 AM  
Blogger pabhc said...

Hey Mads,

It is actually a very good alternative this project that is being carried out by Danish organizations for humanitarian purposes.

I would like to add and recommend people to check out Oxfam.com. These guys are doing the same from the UK, and were the pioneers in this movement.

Anyhow, wherever you are, you can do this, and contribute with your bit!

Vi ses snart på UWC Julefrokosten.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Anicko said...

Let me express my gratitude for this edition: MANGE TAK!

A Q: My sister is graduating from Pearson in May, she wants to get a Danish student mössa. If you have any idea where to get them let me know and I will... let's say, I'll dedicate the next post for discussing the spirit of Denmark from a Finnish perspective ... eller något sånt :)

and an A: Denmark, from the very few hours I spend on its fruity soil, was 1)more European than Finland 2)linguistically surprisingly understandable with my finlandssvenska 3)simply adorable, I met only nice people, I'm serious!...but... there were so many svenskar around I couldn't get the pure taste of the culture when trying to distinguish you from our beloved-hated-nabus. lol

ps.3. the Bible-related text is hilarious. It reminds me how I was irritated by quite a severe grammar mistake in the Finnish version of Apostles' Creed. (I'm not religious but I learned that as a child). In the end, a grammatical case changes with no reason and sounds roughly like this: "I believe in the Holy spirit, the holy's catholic's churche's, the communion's of saints', the forgiveness' of sins', the resurrection's of the body's..." Someone asked why the mistake has remained and a priest in a lutheran journal replied: "it highlights the inner message of the confession better and makes sense if you believe". Plain mistake, if you ask me :)

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home