The Eyes of the World

One day you will wake up and find out that you are the eyes of the world!

Name:
Location: Haslev, Denmark

Monday, November 27, 2006

People you meet at GSC

You meet many different types of people at my job. You meet the old sailor with tattoos all over his body and at least 4-5 names crossed over on his right arm. You meet the young couple that just got their first child and is travelling together for the first time. You meet the businessman who is going to a meeting in Oslo and who booked the biggest 60 square meters suite with Jacuzzi, just for himself. You meet the retard that is travelling together with her helper, and the helper is using all the retards money. You meet the poor backpacker who is in Europe for the first time and is surprised by the prices in the Nordic region. You meet the two girls who are prostitution themselves in the streets in Oslo and come and exchange 25.000 NOK (all in 500 notes). You meet the “normal Family Denmark”, one happy couple, two small children and a teenage girl. You meet banker, the man living on welfare, the policeman and the criminal, the nurse, the doctor and the deadly sick people. At my job you will meet the soldier who came back from Iraq with no hearing but is now travelling around Europe. You meet the man who is throwing his passport from Senegal in the ocean, because he is trying to get illegal into Norway. You meet the scientist, the illiterate man on 50, the cleaning lady and the Accommodation Manager, the bricklayer and the architect, the newlywed and the newly divorced, the man who is cheating on his wife, and the wife who is getting cheated on. You meet Captain and the person who has been working in the engine room for the last 25 years. You meet the Japanese group of tourist and the guides. You meet everyone in the Guest Service Centre. The people I have described here are the people I have talked with the last month.

Yesterday one of “guest” died. He was 55 years old and had had many blood clots in his Life; this was going to be his last trip with his wife. Only 15 min. after we have sailed out from CPH the wife come down to me and tell me that her husband feels sick. Two hours later he was dead and we were performing CPR on him, we even sailed the ship into land to get a doctor to look at him.
Yet another story from my Life. Another person who just came shortly into my Life and left fast again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought my job was social.

(Men du sade inget om norrmännen som du tycker så mycket om...)

Still having a little Kashmir in the veins, btw ;)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Anicko said...

"One day you will wake up and find out that you are the eyes of the world"
Did this happen to me?

Last Wednesday, I had a lab work at uni and while waiting for the lecturer, I raised up the topic of Alexander Litvinenko cause I was quite exasperated. Talked with five people, none of them had heard of the case by then. They've got tv, I haven't, so I asked how on earth they could avoid the topic. Especially after I found out they hadn't watched any news for quite a while. Well they watch OC, that's all, as one of them replied.

What do you think, was it UWC that made us so, shall I even call it - hyper-aware? Living on the edge of overloaded media information? I installed Freereader to make my newsreading even more efficient and now I feel like it's coming out of ears. At the same time it's sad to think how limited a world view people get if they only expect to know the world by watching the 8:30 pm airing. Checked CNN Europe today, the only news from Finland was on "Sexiest PM ends romance by text(message)".

Keep posting, I'm addicted to this blog :)

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home