The Eyes of the World

One day you will wake up and find out that you are the eyes of the world!

Name:
Location: Haslev, Denmark

Monday, January 09, 2006

what is worth the most?

I just finished my breakfast, consisting of 6 pancakes....:-)
I went to Barquisimeto Art Museum yesterday, and it was an interesting experiences. As I wrote early, every single thing here is well proteced by guards with guns, fences, alarms, locks etc. Everything, except the Art Museum. In Denmark (sorry for using the line), art museums are a lot more protected than a private car; in Venezuela is the other way around. It is actually quite logic, art doesnt really have a value - only for the eye. A car is a lot more usefull, and therefore also have a value. Is art useful at all? Does it give food on the table? Actually, I dont think that any Venezuelan care so much about the art they have (even though it was some of the best quality art I have seen), because the museum was toally empty.
I also went to the "Country Club" yesterday, it is basically a place where the rich people can relax, play tennis, go bowling and swimming...Just a new part of Venezuela that I have seen now. It is interesting to come from a country with a 85% middle class, and then to a country like this - however, I know that most of the world is like this. Small middle-class, many poor and few rich.
I was also at the place where Pedro Pablo used to do his homework and study, it is a little place owned by Opus Dei (dunno how many of you, have read the Da vinci Code!), and it was a very relaxed place. Before we enter, Henrique told me: "I know that you dont like this, but you have to go down on your knees when we enter the chapel" (the reason why he said this was that I mention to him some days ago that I was semi-atheist :-),....)... It annoys me a bit that some people think, that I should have a problem respecting other religions. I dont really have a problem with going down on my knees in front of Jesus on a cross, or walk without shoes in a mosque, or dont turn around in a holy temple.... It is simply respect, and that is not difficult, whenever it is for another man, or a religion.
My time in Venezuela is almost up, or I dont know yet, because I am not sure that I can get a bus to Quito yet. I am happy that I got to taste a little bit of this country, and especially that I could stay with a family. I think I have learned more from this experiences, than what I would have learned from backpacking around for 2 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home