The Eyes of the World

One day you will wake up and find out that you are the eyes of the world!

Name:
Location: Haslev, Denmark

Sunday, January 15, 2006

So much to see, so little time

Too much is going on in my Life these days; I am not even sure that I have time to reflect over the things which I have seen the last three days. That also means that you only will get a summary of my experiences.

Friday: I went alone into the Old City of Quito. It is the most cultural part with churches and museums on every corner. I realized pretty fast three things: The amount of policemen, the amount of cars and pollution, and the big difference between Caracas and Quito. Ecuador’s capital seems more “traditional”, Caracas was very mixed when I came to food and the people there, in Quito you see Indians on every street, and you see less MacDonald’s and more maize. I am going to write some of what I saw now, but I think that Pablo will be the only one who will know what it is: Plaza de la Indenpendicia, the Cathedral, Hotel Majestic, El Sagrario, the Centro Cultural Metropolitano, Museo de Cera, La Compania, Plaza de San Francisco and of course, San Francisco, La Merced, and Santa Domingo. After my long walk up and down the small streets; in an altitude that I am not used to, I decided to take a taxi to the new city.
The new city is mostly malls and hotels, but it also has really nice parks. I decided to visit Museo Nacional del Banco Central del Ecuador – which was a great place!
I then met with Pablos parents and siblings, and we took a tour around the city by night. The view from Virgen de Quito was spectacular and reminded me of the view of Damascus by night.

Saturday: I cannot remember all the different kind of foods that I got on this “road trip”, I just remember that we ate traditional Ecuadorian food from the morning until the night – and we ate a lot of it. The whole family and I went to Otavalo, were there is the largest and most colorful craft markets in South America – it was a beautiful place, apart from all the gringos that I saw there. All looking the same, a local hat, an old “I backpacked in Thailand t-shirt” (with a money belt under), a North Face fleece jacket, brown or sand colored pants (with big pockets, and a “smart” zipper so you can make them into shorts), and then of course the hiking boots and the big backpack. All backpackers look the same, all over the world. The most interesting thing is that WE(!) all think we are special….
Anyway, we then drove to Lago de San Pablo, and later on to Cotacachi to eat a great feast, we drove 20 more kilometers to get our desert, in Ibarra. It was one of the best ice-cream that I have ever tasted in my Life, that I got in Heladeria Rosalia Suarez.

Sunday: We have spent the time on first a birthday at Monica´s parents place (Pablos grandparents), then we went on some museums, before we went to the other grandparents for lunch. I want to write a lot more, but I am too tired now. Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home