The Eyes of the World

One day you will wake up and find out that you are the eyes of the world!

Name:
Location: Haslev, Denmark

Friday, February 24, 2006

Book Reviews

I have had a plan for a long time to write down small reviews of the books that I have been reading, while traveling around the last 4 months. I am only writing about the books that I have read from start to end, even though there are many “half unread” books as well.

Nordkraft : A Danish book, which got really popular in Denmark 2 years ago. It’s about the Life of drug addicts in a middle-sized Danish city. I like the story for the fact that it is a new environment which is described and he managed to provoke. Nevertheless, he wrote some short-stories that I really don’t like and Nordkraft becomes a bit boring in the end; so, he will get 3 mate cups out of 5 possible.
Mountains beyond Mountains: Do I have to write more? The “big” Bryan book which the English class studied. I actually like the book, especially because the author also thinks that Paul Farmer is too much sometimes. However, there are parts of the book where Farmer is simply “too good a person”; can’t take that. Gets 4 angles out of 5.
Kraka: The boat I was on was build by one man, Lars, and he had been sailing around the world before that in another of his own boats. Kraka is about his travel, and about how the boat sank, after almost making it all around the world. Gets 2 fish out of 5.
Papillion: I read this one for the third time, and I still Love the book. It is supposedly a true story, and it is written in the best language ever. Like a sailor telling a story on a bar. 5 bottles of rum out of 5.
Voyage of the Narwhale: This book is half fiction, and half non-fiction, and it is taking place in the artic region; which led my thoughts on my trip to Iceland, Greenland and Canada. The way it describes the nature is superb, however the Love story part is too much. 4 narwhales out of 5.
The Kite Runner: READ IT! What more can I say. A story about the cruelties in Afghanistan and about friendship. I got wet eyes when I read this story. 5 US Marines out of 5.
Nynnes dagbog: A crap girl book like Bridgets Jones Diary. Not worth reading, even though it only takes four hours. 0 pieces of shit out of 100.
Islam for beginners: A bad book trying to be young and smart with the design, which makes it a mess. I learned a bit from it, but not a lot more than what I already knew. 2 months in the Sahara with a muslim family is better in understanding Islam – nonetheless, this book should might be given to all Danes these days. 2 Korans out of 5.
A Fine Balance: A story about India, poverty, friendship and most importantly of all, a story about loss. A must read book. 5 rice corns out of 5.
Harry Potter and the goblet of fire: I am actually not a fan of Harry Potter, and this is only the third book of his than I am reading. Again, I think the story is too simple and I feel like eating a McD. Meal when I read the book. 2 wizards out of 5.
Wild Swans: The second time I am reading this one. A good book about three generations in China, one of the best history books on China. 4 Yun-Fengs out of 5.
One hundred Years of Solitude: Probably one of the most famous books from the continent, and I Love this book. The way that he creates a magic world, and catches the spirit of Latin-America is amazing. A must-read if you want to travel in the region. 6 Buendia´s out of 5.
Togroeverne, Det store kup set indefra: A story about the big train-robbery there was in England many years ago. This is a story about a group of small robbers, who end up getting extremely rich. One of them even moving to Argentina after a plastic operation. An amazing story, which also have connections to the neo-Nazis. 4 gold bars out of 5.
A short History of Nearly Everything: I didn’t like sciences….but then I read this book. Describes evolution, how nature developed, why water is so special, the Big Bang, Einstein and much more. All of is with a wonderful twist of humor. This book is great fun, and you can learn a lot from it. 5 theories out of 5.
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency: About a lady detective in Africa. The story itself is boring, but has some great quotes. I would like to read more from this author; because he has some good ideas and he is only writing about Africa. 3 lions out of 5.
Jeg har hoert et stjerneskud og jeg set verden begynde: Two good books about a Danish journalist who travels from Moscow, through Asia and end up in South America. It is mostly good because I have seen the same things as he has, and I would like to be that kind of a journalist that he is. Very honest about his own mistakes, and very well-read.
Selected Poems by Pablo Neruda: I read his poems, and I loved them. I saw his house and I Loved it. This guy is amazing, and I am looking forward to study him more. 6 hearts out of 5.
Che Guevara, The Motorcycle Diaries: “Let the world change you and you will change the world”. Another book that you have to read if you are traveling in Latin America. I read a bad translation, which destroyed the book; nevertheless, it was interesting to read about the places that Che and I have visited. Only with 50 years difference. Actually, not much have changed. 3 revolutions out of 5.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taaak! Genialt med 'book reviews' :) og så er det jo bare at komme i gang - når jeg altså ikke har travlt med mine kære statskundskabs bøger! Ej men vil til at læse lidt mere 'afslapnings bøger', så vil læse nogen af dem du har givet en masse *'er og så kan vi se om jeg er enig. Glæder mig til at se dig snart!! Kram AK

12:37 PM  
Blogger ...The eyes of the world said...

I can only say one thing...the worse feeling is jealousi....Especially when it is concerned with the past.

1:24 PM  
Blogger ...The eyes of the world said...

I am not the one, who is stucked in one place...

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you sore you a re not stucked? seems like still collecting exoticity just like a usual turist

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home